Short terms loans such as payday loans are regarded as risky by many, however, is this really the case? If you’re looking to take out a short-term loan, but you want to know what you’re getting yourself into first, look no further. Here’s what you need to know and do to minimize the risks
Like any other kinds of loans, short term loans such as payday loans have risks. The most common include;
1. Misuse: Short-term loans are prone to misuse more than any other types of loans. As a result, there is always a risk that you won’t use any short term loan you take responsibly. You can do away with this risk by being a responsible borrower. You should borrow short term loans like payday loans when you have pressing needs only i.e. when you have emergency cash needs.
2. Repayment risks: Due to the short term nature of loans such as payday loans, there are higher risks of failing to meet repayment obligations as stipulated in the terms. Typically, payday loans are supposed to be paid off in full using the next paycheck. If you don’t borrow more money that you can repay comfortably, there is a high risk of having difficulties repaying the loan in full. The best way of avoiding this repayment risks is to always make sure you can repay the loan amount in full without difficulties during your next payday.
3. High-cost risks: Short term loans also tend to be more expensive than regular loans, so there is a high likelihood of being overcharged especially when you don’t take the time to borrow from reputable lenders. Payday loans are good examples of expensive short term loans if you borrow without doing your homework. There are very many unscrupulous payday loan lenders in the UK who overcharge their customers by using confusing terms and conditions. To avoid this, you need to borrow from reputable UK payday loan lenders only like Swiftmoney.
4. Habitual borrowing risks: Short term loans are also known to cause habitual borrowing i.e. borrowing when you don’t need to. You should never get a short term loan simply because it is available to you otherwise you stand to plunge yourself into a never-ending debt cycle. Furthermore, the loan might not be available to you later when you really need it. It is worth noting that failing to repay any loan damages your reputation as well as your credit rating.
5. Scams: There are also more scams associated with short term loans than there are scams associated with long-term loans. The popularity of short term loans like payday loans has attracted a lot of unscrupulous lenders out to exploit lenders. Some even pose as lenders only to steal the identity of their clients. The importance of dealing with renowned payday loan lender or broker can’t, therefore, be overemphasised. In fact, dealing with a renowned payday loan broker like Swift Money can reduce most risks associated with payday loan today.
Verdict: Are short-term loans risky?
Short term loans can be very risky if you are dealing with a bad lender. When you choose a good lender, you get rid of most of the risks associated with short-term loans. First and foremost, there’s need to worry about scams if you are dealing with a registered lender with all the relevant FCA authorization. You also don’t need to worry about paying a high-interest rate or paying more in fees because of hidden terms and conditions.
It’s also possible to reduce the risks associated with short term loans by being a responsible borrower. If you borrow a payday loan for emergency reasons only, there should be no cause for concern. A responsible borrower also uses his/her loan for the intended purpose and repays the loan as agreed. Being a responsible borrower eliminates risks of misusing your loan, having repayment problems as well as becoming a habitual borrower.
In essence, short term loans have risks. However, the risks can be eliminated by choosing a lender wisely as well as practicing responsible borrowing behaviour.
Is the Company Director of Swift Money Limited.
He oversees all day to day operations of the company and actively participates in providing information regarding the payday/short term loan industry.